A Brief Church History

Notice the faded initials “C.P.” above the doors of the southern narthex of our sanctuary which reflects our early Cumberland roots within the Presbyterian denomination

Notice the faded initials “C.P.” above the doors of the southern narthex of our sanctuary which reflects our early Cumberland roots within the Presbyterian denomination

Historic First Presbyterian Church was formed in 1829 as a Cumberland Presbyterian (CP) church by the Reverend John Morgan. After sharing a common church building with the Baptists in town, the first CP church building was dedicated in 1852. After suffering damage during the Civil War, the congregation needed a new building and D.W. Gingrich was named as its architect. Using war damage claims of $5000 issued by the U.S. Government as seed money, First Presbyterian Church finally had the funds it needed to begin work on a new sanctuary – the same sanctuary in which we worship now! This work was completed in 1895.

After spending seventy-seven years as a Cumberland church, First Presbyterian Church along with about two-thirds of the Cumberland denomination affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America in 1906. And in 1983, during the reunion of the northern and southern churches, First Presbyterian Church became a part of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the same denomination we are affiliated with today.

In 2014, the congregation of First Presbyterian Church celebrated its 185th year of ministry within Limestone County and the world. We remember our Presbyterian heritage with thanksgiving as we continue to build upon the faithful work of those who served before us. To God be the glory!